Thursday, December 2, 2010

Jambalaya, Oh Me Oh My Oh

I made Jambalaya the other night and it sure was good...and spicy!  I thought I'd share the recipe-I found it in the children's recipe book I bought my daughter.
I found this book at a store named, of all things, "The Kitchen Witch!"  It's a store of nothing but cookbooks and
was the inspiration for the name of this blog.  If you are ever in the "Quarter", please stop by this fun shop.  I don't think you will regret it. ; ) 



Here's a pic of my second bowl.  I think we all went back for seconds.
Jambalaya
2 lbs. sausage ( any kind-I used Andouille)
1/2 lb. cubed ham
1 tbsp. cooking oil
2 med. onions, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
3 ribs celery, chopped
1 large can diced tomatoes or 4 fresh, chopped
3 cups beef or chicken stock
4 cloves garlic, chopped
salt, black pepper, and cayenne to taste
1/2 bunch shallots, minced
2 cups raw rice

Heat oil in large pot. Fry sausage and ham.  Add the onion, bell pepper, and celery.  Saute 'til limp.  Add the tomatoes and stock.  Add garlic.  Add rice and seasonings.  Stir, bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or so.  Stir to fluff rice.  You may need to add water or a little more stock if on the dry side.  Sprinkle in shallots and cook for 15 minutes longer.  (Watch this last 15 minutes.  I've found it doesn't need to cook as long as that).

Enjoy

2 comments:

Marguerite said...

This jambalaya looks fab and now I'm going to have to make some! lol The "Kitchen Witch" store sounds neat and I will have to check it out the next time that I'm in the Quarter.

GardenOfDaisies said...

"we'll have big fun on the bayou." :-)
Your jambalaya looks delicious!!!
That is cool that the store has the same name as your blog! I wonder if there is a place called Garden Of Daisies?