Monday, August 30, 2010

Wipe Out (and a Squash Casserole)

Today has been rough, not particularly tough but, I think the heat and the new "schedule" revolving my classes has got me beat.  You could say, "somebody's got a case of the Mondays".  Ha!  I sat in my car for 15+ minutes trying to leave campus and I could feel my energy seeping from my pores, blending into the seat that I'd melted into.  I've got blisters from the cutesy sandals that I wore, and I think I got caught on the red light cam 'cause the yellow turned to red as I went thru the intersection after I finally got the heck out of Dodge, um, I mean campus.  There's a reason you don't see too many gals in their thirties floatin' the halls of a college campus, I just have to say ,and the ones that you do see are a tough breed so give 'em a pat on the back next time you pass them.  After I picked up the girls from school, I got after it in the kitchen.  Tonight, we had a pork tenderloin, homemade mashed potatoes, and a squash casserole.  As a side note, I asked my daughter what veggies she had today.  After a lingering thought she replied, " a tomato slice".  Great. 

Here's Paula Deen's recipe for the squash; I love it.  Mashed taters and this casserole are some of my favorite comfort foods and comfort food is what this lady's needed.  All is quiet, right now, as my family is busily stuffing their faces.  I love this moment and I'll tell you a secret, sometimes getting them quiet by food is my only incentive in cooking it.  Shh, don't tell.

Anyway, I love Paula Deen.  It's one of my life goals to meet this awesome lady.  She reminds me of my grandma and she was the BEST lady I've ever known (you will hear me talk about my grandma a lot on this here blog since I have many of her recipes).  Oh, and...

Here's Paula

Ingredients:


6 cups large diced yellow squash and zucchini ( I use about 5-6 yellow squash)
Vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped (TX sweet onions are the best)
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon House seasoning (this is, essentially, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder to taste)
1 cup grated cheddar cheese (if I'm out of real cheese, I cheat and use velveta.  I also like to add 1/2 a cup of grated parm either with or without the "real" cheese)
1 cup crushed butter crackers, recommended: Ritz (I use one sleeve of crackers, crushed and if I'm frustrated like I was today, I really get after this part with a meat mallet)

Directions:
     Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
     Saute the squash in a little vegetable oil over medium-low heat until it has completely broken down, about 15 to 20 minutes. Line a colander with a clean tea towel. Place the cooked squash in the lined colander. Squeeze excess moisture from the squash. Set aside.  (I've always skipped this step...just sayin')

     In a medium size skillet, saute the onion in butter for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and mix all ingredients together except cracker crumbs. Pour mixture into a buttered casserole dish and top with cracker crumbs.  Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.

score!
Tomorrow I'll upload pics of my junking finds this past Saturday.  Nothing major, but some cute stuff.  ~ 'til we meet again

No comments: