Friday, November 19, 2010

Easy as Pie

Happy Friday, everyone!  I love Fridays because I get to share recipes for "Foodie Fridays" over at Designs By Gollum.  Today, however, is a different kind of day for sharing.  This time around, I'd like for YOU to share your thoughts on this common icebox pie recipe.  I had a recipe in my grandma's recipe box, Emeril's had a similar version on his show before, and I'm pretty sure Paula Deen has, as well.  The trouble is, with all the versions I've tried, I can never get the pie to set as much as I'd like, even when I've refrigerated it over night to serve the next day. Hmm

flowers courtesy of Mr. Kitchen Witch.  He's a gem ; )

Here's my version:

1 (8oz.) block of cream cheese, softened
1 (14 oz.) can of sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 prepared graham crust
whipped topping, optional
Canned cherry pie filling in gel for topping, optional

The pie tastes wonderful...in my husbands top three favorites, falling right behind pecan pie.  Think cheesecake, but not as firm.

This pie has been dubbed many names: Creamy Lemon Icebox Pie, Creamy Lemon Pie, Cherry Ho Pie.  If you've ever come across a version of this refrigerator pie, let me know what you think.  Does your pie recipe set nicely?  Maybe I shouldn't use fat-free sweetened condensed milk or maybe I should cut back on the lemon juice.  I'm determined to master this seemingly simple recipe.  I hope to hear your thoughts and if just want an easy, tasty, treat go ahead and try my version.  It may not slice the cleanest, but it hits the spot!

1 comment:

Melinda said...

My Grandma made a similar dessert for years. We called it "Grandma's Cherry Dessert" (How original was that!)Grandma's recipe calls for the condensed milk but instead of the cream cheese, she used Cool Whip. It always set up beautifully. I wonder if it's the fat-free condensed milk? Have you tried it with the regular? Even if it didn't set up - I bet it tasted wonderful! :)