Friday, December 10, 2010

Grandaddy's Cajun Spaghetti

This ain't yo mamma's recipe; this here is Granddaddy's spaghetti.  It's fresh-none of that canned mess, he might say.  I looked forward to visits when I knew he was making this spaghetti.  He's too old to cook, now.  I hadn't had it since I was a girl, but was reminded of his spaghetti through a friend's blog and so went to searching his house for the recipe over Thanksgiving break.  I tried it out as soon as I got home and it's just as good as I remembered it being.  Here goes:

Granddaddy's Spaghetti

1 lb. thin spaghetti, prepared per package instructions
1 lb. lean ground beef
Extra Virgin Olive oil
2 med. onions, chopped
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
1/2 cup celery, small dice
1/2 large bell pepper chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 jalapenos, seeded, ribbed, and finely chopped
1 can (14 oz.) tomato sauce
1 reg. size can mild Rotel tomatoes with green chilies
Worcestershire sauce to taste, maybe a tbsp. or so
juice of half a lemon
salt & black pepper to taste
Cajun seasoning to taste
Grated Parmesan

Saute onions, celery, garlic, mushrooms, bell pepper, and jalapenos in a skillet with a few lugs of olive oil.  Add ground beef and Worcestershire sauce.  When beef is browned, add seasonings and lemon juice.  Cover and cook for a few minutes.  Add tomato sauce and Rotel.  Add parm at the end.  Serve over cooked, drained spaghetti.  I think I doctored this with a tbsp. or so of tomato paste

3 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

Granddady knew how to make great pasta and sauce. This sounds delicious. I hope you have a great evening. Blessings...Mary

Marguerite said...

Oh wow, looks like one heck of a great sauce! Love the Rotel and jalapenos in it! Have a great weekend cher!

Miz Helen said...

Your Granddaddy's Cajun Spaghetti looks awesome. Thank you for sharing your recipe and you have a great week!