People all across blog land have been posting zucchini recipes. Tis definitely the season...zucchini season. Why, just last week I posted a chocolate zucchini bread recipe from Joy of Baking that utterly pleased. A few nights later, I decided to try my hand at fritters. I've combed the web through many, many, recipes. Simplicity was what I wanted out of a recipe, with no frills ingredients, and this one delivers.
In true Kitchen Witch fashion, I tweaked the ingredients a little bit.
SERVES Serves 6 23 medium zucchini, grated
- 1 sleeve Saltine crackers, crushed
12 egg(s), beaten
- 1/3 cup milk (I approximated this. Since I added more zucchini, I added a little more milk, but eyed it- Go for moist, not sopping wet consistency)
- 1 pinch salt and pepper (I also added Cajun Seasoning, what's cooking without it?)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Combine all ingredients and let sit on counter for 20 minutes or so. This will allow liquid to leach out of grated zucchini. Stir batter again to incorporate that liquid.
- Heat vegetable oil over medium high heat in a heavy skillet. Dip batter into oil about 1/4 cup at a time; fry 2-3 minutes, until golden brown, then flip and repeat. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve immediately.