I found this recipe for Kickin' Baked Rigatoni at Rhoda's Southern Hospitality blog, and caught the slaw recipe on an episode of Everyday Italian. I've never used fennel before so was eager to try this out. It did not disappoint.
- 2 cups (lightly packed) flat-leaf parsley
- 3/4 cup shelled and toasted pistachios (I used pine nuts since that was what I had on hand)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (I didn't have fresh thyme so I went w/out and it was still amazing)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 to 5 (about 3 1/2 pounds) fennel bulbs, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced
For the Pistachio Pesto: Combine the parsley, pistachios, thyme, and garlic cloves in the bowl of a food processor; blend until finely chopped. With the machine running, gradually add the olive oil, processing until well blended. Season the pesto with salt and pepper, to taste.
For the Fennel Slaw: Place the fennel in a large serving bowl. Add the pesto and toss to coat well. Tear the prosciutto into 1-inch pieces and add to the bowl. Gently toss to combine. Serve.
*recipe courtesy Giada de Laurentis via Food Network.