Sunday, June 3, 2012

Dumb Dora Coffee Cake



I've wanted to make a Dumb Dora Coffee Cake for some time.  With a name like Dumb Dora, I just had to see what it was all about.  Names like "dumb Dora" and "lazy Susan" crack me up and I wonder how such names ever came about.  If I were a Dora or a Susan, I'd be highly offended. ; )

Well, this coffee cake was very tasty and so easy to make that even this dummy didn't mess it up.

If you'd like to have a recipe on hand to serve guests in a pinch, this is it.  The cake is easy to put together and the ingredient list is composed of your kitchen basics so you're sure to have the fixings on hand.

Here's what you'll need...
2 cups All Purpose Flour
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 scant tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup soft butter (1 stick)
2 slightly beaten eggs
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit.  Grease and flour two 8-inch pie pans or one 10 in. like I did.  I use Baker's spray that has the flour combined in the nonstick spray.

In a mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt; work in the stick of butter with a fork or pastry cutter until crumbly (I use my hands to cut in the butter).  Remove 3/4 cup of crumb mixture for topping.

In a separate bowl, mix milk, eggs, and vanilla.  Pour liquid into dry ingredients and stir until all is combined.  The batter will be somewhat lumpy...no need to beat with a mixer.  Pour batter into prepared pan(s) and top with crumble topping.  Place in oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Optional:  May cover cake batter with thinly sliced apples or peaches before sprinkling with crumb topping or may sprinkle cinnamon over crumb topping.

I had a few peaches from our tree and from the farmer's market so I peeled those and sliced them thinly to place on top of the batter.  I went hog wild and sprinkled cinnamon on top of the crumb topping, too, before popping the cake in the oven.  Hey, who said I can't be daring?!

I found this recipe courtesy of Sue McCarty in my Corpus Christi Republican Women's Club recipe book from 1984.  


Sharing @ Slice of Southern's Southern Sunday, Rattlebridge Farm's Foodie Friday, and  Ms. enPlace










7 comments:

Winnie said...

Dumb Dora cale - you cracked me up LOL
I like this!!!
I love this kind of cake - simple but very tasty

Lynn said...

Silly name but very similar to my G-Mom-B's crumb cake! I made one today too, used some blueberries:@)

Michelle B said...

Talk about have all the ingredients on hand! What a great list. Love the name. I'd like to know where it comes from. Thanks for linking!

Slice of Southern said...

Great looking recipe! and what a funny name...Thanks for linking up to Southern Sundays! Hope to see you again soon!
www.asliceofsouthern.blogspot.com

Michelle B said...

Your Dumb Dora cake is being featured @ this week's See Ya In the Gumbo!

Slice of Southern said...

Congratulations! Your wonderful coffee cake is today's featured recipe on Southern Sundays. Come grab a button, and I hope you bring along some other of your delicious creations!
www.asliceofsouthern.blogspot.com

haseeb ali said...

You lucky lucky thing! Sounds like such a fun experience. I'd love a posh ice cream maker but I do have a little Kenwood one where you freeze the bowl - obviously it's not as convenient but it does work very well and it makes some gorgeous ice cream. You'll never want to go back to the shop bought stuff! Italian affogato