Saturday, September 4, 2010

To market, to market, to buy a fat pig (Pico de Gallo Recioe)

Today marks the beginning of Labor Day weekend and I need to be "makin' groceries".  Since we won't be going to my mom's (boo) I think we will be going to the lake to hang with friends which means that I need to wrap my brain around what to make.  I'm thinking Pico de Gallo and I don't know what all else but, here's a recipe for Pico de Gallo to hold you over 'til the next post

Pico de Gallo, pronounced Pee Co Day Guy-O in Texas speak

4 Roma tomatoes, chopped (or whatever kind you got...homegrown's the best but, you probably know that my "homegrown" crop was mini-sized)
1 medium sized sweet onion, finely chopped (TX is known for their sweet onions so I'm partial)
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
½ bunch fresh cilantro, finely chopped
Juice of 3 limes
Kosher Salt to taste
Combine all ingredients into a large bowl. You may want to refrigerate to let flavors develop but, is not necessary. Serve with corn tortilla chips.

You can always add more tomatoes, onion, etc. if you are making this for a big crowd.  There really is no right or wrong in making something like Pico. 

I hope y'all enjoy your holiday weekend! 

Until we meet again...

No comments: