Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Coming Out of the Closet

This Christmas season something strange and magical happened.  The kiddo came out of the closet (so to speak) and confessed to not believing in Santa.  I knew this day would come, but I'm still a little bummed.  See two years ago kiddo went to see her "real" dad for Christmas and when she walked in the door from her trip, the first words out of her mouth were, "Guess what I just found out, Santa isn't real" and I'm all hunkered over the stove when she drops the bomb and I burn my wrist on the pan while hollering,"WHATAREYOUTALKINGABOUT?!"  I mean,"what would make you say that, sweetie?"
Her:  Dad just told me that Santa isn't real.
yeah, folks, on Christmas Day.
Me:  Well, what brought that up? 
Her: Well, I was asking questions and he just told me
Me:  Well, I think he's wrong.  I mean I've always heard you have to believe to receive.  I think that's how that goes. 
Her:  Huh?
Me:  Um, you don't get presents from Santa if you don't believe in him.
Her:  Oh. Well.  I believe, then.
Smart cookie.

Last year I think she put up a good front to ensure that Santa delivered, but this year the gig is up.  It's been a little bit of a blessing in disguise, though, because I've really enjoyed my newly enlisted Santa shopper.  We've perused stores all over town for little sissy and it's been a ton of fun.  I like how she's gotten into the spirit of making this a great first Christmas for mon petit bebe.  Shame, little bit won't really have a memory of it.  Oh well, I'll have a nice memories to share with her when she's older.

Plus, Big Sissy has learned the joy of getting to pick out what she wants in the stores, an added benefit of us both getting what we want.  Me, I don't have to worry that I've selected another bogus gift for her.

that, folks, is a look of disappointment...a failed gift.
Her, she gets what she wants.

Here are some cute videos of kiddos getting what they want for Christmas.  Hope you enjoy. Happy Holidays!




and a not so happy camper...

No comments: