Friday, June 10, 2011

Great Grandma's Creole Chicken

These are pictures of my Great Grandma, Elizabeth Wheadon Wetherbee.  My great grandma passed away not long after the bottom picture was taken...in her forties. 

My mom has a little mole skin notebook of my great grandma's titled "Favorite Recipes".  Who knows how long ago she typed them in, but they've stood against time. This one is for her Creole Chicken and it is well worth the effort.


Creole Chicken
A 6 lb. young hen (mine was 4.85 lbs. and was just fine)
2 large onions, chopped (I used1 1/2 onions because mine were large)
2 green bell peppers, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, diced (I used three stalks just to use my celery up)
1 can tomato sauce (I used an 8 oz. can since that's what I had on hand and the consistency was perfect)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can sliced mushrooms
To taste: Worcestershire sauce, salt, red pepper, and Tobasco (I went light on the red pepper since our youngest was eating w/us)

Put chicken in heavy pot with salt water just to cover.  Boil until well done.  Skin, bone, and cut in small pieces.  In a separate pot, make a roux with bacon fat and 2 tbsp. or so of flour 'til brown in color.  Add about a cup of chicken stock.  Add in the onions, bell pepper, celery, garlic, tomatoes, and tomato sauce.  Cook for 1 hr.  Then, put in the chicken and cook for one and a half hours.  Add mushrooms and season to taste.  Serve with cooked white rice.  (I cooked my rice in chicken stock to flavor it.)

Sharing at Savory Sunday.  Hope you enjoy!

No comments: