Tuesday, July 5, 2011

If you Ask Me What I Like About Texas...

To quote an old Jerry Jeff song, "I could tell you, but it'd take all night long."  Instead I'll just highlight a few things so...moving right along.

The first of these will be about food (I'll feature various topics over the next few days; a series, if you will)

1.) Onions, Sweet Onions!  I only recently discovered that our state vegetable was the sweet onion.  I love our sweet onions.  Louisiana may have their Creole Onions, but Texas has their 1015's.

Photo Credit
2.) Texas Ruby Reds.  Need I say more?
Photo Credit

3.) Shiner Bock Beer.  If you've never had a Shiner (and you enjoy beer) I think you'd better find one. Quick!  They've come out with Seasonal brews and the Ruby Red that came out this past Spring was delish (a happy marriage of two great Texas flavors-grapefruit and beer!).  Also, I fell in love with the "Holiday Cheer" brew.  I think it was the best I've ever drank...a mix of Peach and Pecan.  Mmm.
Photo Credit
4.) Tex-Mex.  It may not be traditional Mexican, but it sure is traditional Texican.  It's comfort food, great for hang overs, and sometimes you've just gotta have it.
Photo Credit
5.) Pecans.  Many people don't associate Pecans with Texas, but they're a big part of our state.  After all, the Pecan Tree is our State tree.  My Granddaddy has Pecan groves on his land.  With little rain in recent years, the production has not been great, but I love pecans just the same.
Photo Credit

2 comments:

Lynn said...

All 5 sound great to me:@)

GardenOfDaisies said...

Lots of good reasons!! :-)