|So good you'll cry ; )|
- Blueberries were on sale at the grocery store so into the basket they went and I had just the plan for them, lemon-blueberry muffins!
- I trawled the web to find a recipe with good reviews (many marked comments about being too dense, not sweet enough, dry, etc.). Then, I found a Southern Living recipe. The smell of home-made muffins in the oven is divine! Bebe and I danced to some of our favorite tunes while the muffins baked away.
If you're game to try a muffin recipe for this weekend, here's a good one...
- YIELD: Makes 1 dozen
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed and drained
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- Vegetable cooking spray
Combine first 3 ingredients in a large mixing bowl; add blueberries, and gently toss to coat. Make a well in center of mixture.
Stir together milk, sugar, and next 3 ingredients; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
Beat egg whites at medium speed with an electric mixer 1 minute or until soft peaks form; fold into batter. Spoon batter into muffin pans coated with cooking spray, filling two-thirds full.
Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until done.