Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Cooking for Kids

If you were like me as a child, you loved to cook.  My daughter has expressed interest, but she doesn't take charge like I used to do.  I would rummage through recipe books or see something on T.V., ask my mom if we had the ingredients, and I'd get to work.  Big Sissy needs an initiation and an invitation to get involved, but I'm glad when she does.  She's in 6th grade now, by that age I was fully independent in the kitchen.  I'd make simple things, of course, and since she's expressed some interest I've been thinking back to what those simple things were.

One of the things I recall making often was Tuna Mac or Tuna Noodle Casserole as some may call it.  If you've got kids that love macaroni AND tuna, this may be a good starter recipe.

All you need is a box of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese, a can of Cream of Mushroom soup, a can of Peas, and a can of Tuna (or a pkg. as they come in nowadays).

Prepare the macaroni as directed on the box,  Once you've mixed in the butter, milk, and cheese packet, add in your Cream of Mushroom soup, drained can of peas, and drained can of Tuna.  You can add a little black pepper if you like.  It's as simple as that.  Stir everything together and viola.  Your child has made lunch : )  Of course, you know your child best...supervise them as you deem necessary.  With my daughter, for instance, I'll have to help her all the way through, especially when it comes time to drain the pasta.

I'll share some more of my favorite childhood recipes in the near future.  In the mean time, if you've got any recipes that your child loves to do, please share.  Teaching your child how to cook is instilling a great life skill and it really creates an awareness of what goes into the food they eat (time, energy, and ingredients).

I hope you're having a blessed week.  Be sure to check in on Friday.  I'll be sharing a recipe on the Foodie Friday swap at Designs by Gollum.

The Kitchen Witch

No comments: